From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:53:17
1 On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > <SNIP>
6 > > Maybe this is a good excuse
7 > >> to start working on a NAS. :/
8 > > That's my vote. (For the second time)
9 > >
10 > > I'm using a FreeBSD Nas (TrueNAS) but they recently came out with a
11 > > Linux version which you might be more comfortable with. If you use a
12 > > 1Gb/S or higher network connection it's quite fast.
13 > >
14 > > You can also go the Synology route via Amazon. You can get a 2-disk
15 > > NAS chassis which does RAID for around $250 last time I looked.
16 > >
17 > > Good luck whatever you do.
18 > >
19 > > Mark
20 >
21 > Other than being another piece of equipment running up a light bill, it
22 > is the best way to deal with this. The way I'm doing now is a bit of a
23 > struggle at times. I just need to get other things done first, from a
24 > money perspective which inflation isn't helping on. A trip to the
25 > grocery story is no fun anymore.
26 >
27 > One of these days tho. I just gotta do it.
28 >
29 > Dale
30
31 I hear you about groceries and inflation. Wol pushed me to build my
32 first one just using an old computer. I had an old machine - case,
33 power supply with a bad motherboard so I purchased an i3-2120 CPU @
34 3.30GHz motherboard with 8GB memory used at a computer store for $40.
35 Surprisingly that's more than enough CPU & memory for basic backups.
36 No matter what you're going to have to pay for the drives whether they
37 go in your box, in external cases or in a backup machine.
38
39 I only turn it on to do backups or to retrieve data so not much electricity.