From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I turn off xterm console restore?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:57:41
1 On 01/21/2011 09:45 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > As soon as some textmode applications in xterm stop, their output gets
3 > wiped, and the xterm screen is restored to what it looked like before I
4 > launched the app. Somebody thought they were being "helpful"; then
5 > again, so did the designers of "Clippy". I don't know how many updates
6 > ago the behaviour changed, but here's what happens...
7 >
8 > Let's say I'm having a problem with packet loss to/from a certain
9 > internet server. I would run "mtr" which gives an ongoing enhanced
10 > traceroute display. When it gets to the router that's dropping packets
11 > I would hit "Q" and mtr quits.
12 >
13 > Before the update
14 > =================
15 > I would copy/paste the mtr output into an email, and send it off to
16 > whomever, with the output showing the packet-loss stats.
17 >
18 > After the update
19 > ================
20 > As soon as mtr quits, its output gets wiped, and the xterm screen is
21 > restored to the state it was in before mtr was launched... helpful NOT!
22 >
23 > I've discovered that I can suspend it with {CTRL-S}, but I shouldn't
24 > have to resort to that. Using Google, I found references to
25 > "man termcap", which stated that this behaviour was controlled by
26 > entries in /etc/termcap. Despite the fact that I have the termcap man
27 > page on my system, I do *NOT* have /etc/termcap. Does anyone have a
28 > sample /etc/termcap (or will ~/.termcap work?) to stop the screen
29 > restore after a text application quits?
32 Walter,
33
34 You can always call it back up. The other window, that is. Just
35 Ctrl-middle-click the xterm and choose "Show alternate screen".
36
37 Presto.
38
39 It's saved my bacon more than once....
40
41 Bill