From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which Laptop is recommended for Gentoo GNU/Linux?
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 07:06:35
1 On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, qfpvajdy wrote:
2
3 > Does somebody know a model of a laptop on which all works fine with Linux?
4
5 I've got almost everything working on my Lenovo 3000-N100 0768-36U. I
6 haven't played too much with suspending, and I haven't got the last detail
7 working on the software modem (slmodemd is using an audio format not
8 supported by my codec).
9
10 When I bought the machine in September, there were a bunch of things not
11 yet supported, or only supported in testing versions that are now stable.
12
13 > I don't want to have trouble with wireless, webcam or this kind of stuff.
14
15 ipw3945 is well supported (except that it's not on the install CD, so you
16 need ethernet to install it). I didn't get a webcam.
17
18 You should probably also specify what features you want, rather than that
19 you just want all of the features to be supported; I haven't used the
20 firewire on mine at all, despite the fact that it reportedly works, and
21 I've got a "Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843" that will never have Linux
22 support because it doesn't actually do anything at all (it's the
23 placeholder device for a 4-device-in-1-chip, where the 4 devices pretend
24 to be various single device Ricoh chips and appear as 4 more devices).
25
26 -Daniel
27 *This .sig left intentionally blank*
28 --