From: Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recompiing kernel quesiton
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:56:55
1 Hi Pawel,
2
3 Tks for your advice.
4
5 > Please, switch off HTML posting as it annoys plenty of users...
6 Oh, sorry. I did not recognise that after changing to "yahoo mail beta". Now I enabled "Compose messages as plain text". Please advise me if still on html posting. Tks.
7
8 I'm suffering poweroff problem, on exiting "System halted" but not poweroff.
9
10 Before reading your positng I did following steps.
11
12 # cd /usr/src/linux
13 # make menuconfig
14 checked "Legacy Power Management API"
15 cheched "Video" on "ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support"
16
17 # make
18 # make install
19 .....
20 GRUB is installed. To automatically switch to new kernels, point your
21 default entry in menu.lst to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-gentoo-r7
22 * end *
23
24 # make modules_install
25
26 Edited /boot/grub/grub.conf
27 ....
28 kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda2 noapic
29 ...
30 * end *
31
32 Rebooted PC and then Shutdown
33 ....
34 ERROR : Cannot stop localmount as net.eth0 is still up
35 ...
36 Shutdown : hda
37 System halted
38 * end *
39
40 But still not poweroff
41
42 Remark: the only difference from your advice is running;
43 # make
44 # make install
45 # make modules_install
46
47 the other way round.
50 # cat /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r7/.config | grep API
51 CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
52 CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
53 CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
54 CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API=y
55 # ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
56 # CONFIG_IEEE1394_EXPORT_FULL_API is not set
57 # CONFIG_E1000_NAPI is not set
58 # CONFIG_S2IO_NAPI is not set
59 * end *
60
61 # cat /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r7/.config | grep ACPI
62 CONFIG_X86_64_ACPI_NUMA=y
63 # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
64 CONFIG_ACPI=y
65 CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
66 CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
67 CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP=y
68 CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
69 CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
70 CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
71 CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=y
72 # CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY is not set
73 CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
74 CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
75 CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
76 CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
77 CONFIG_ACPI_NUMA=y
78 # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
79 # CONFIG_ACPI_IBM is not set
80 CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=y
81 CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
82 # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
83 CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
84 CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
85 CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
86 CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER=y
87 CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_MEMORY=y
88 CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI=y
89 CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
90 CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF=y
91 * end *
94 B.R.
95 SL
98 Correct sequence for kernel generation/update is:
99
100 Go to your new kernel directory and first get your running kernel config (if
101 you enabled this in previous kernel):
102
103 # zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
104
105 Now fix the config (observing which options have "NEW" at the end and
106 consulting online help what do they mean)
107
108 # make menuconfig
109 or
110 # make xconfig
111
112 Now compile the kernel
113
114 # make
115
116 And install it
117
118 # make modules_install
119 # make install
120
121 Afterwards you do nothing (if you have GRUB) or run lilo (guess, if you have
122 LILO :)
123
124 Take note, that some software doesn't work in monolithic kernel (meaning with
125 modules disabled) - especially third-party binary drivers (nvidia, ATI,
126 probably ndiswrapper)
129 Pawel Kraszewski
130 www.kraszewscy.net
133 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list