From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and gnome3
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:11:10
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Peter Alfredsen
2 <peter.alfredsen@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Does anyone use systemd on gentoo, with gnome3?
7 >>>
8 >>> Would someone share a tarball of /etc/systemd/system with me (off-list)
9 >>> so I could figure out what services and stuff are needed?
10 >>>
11 >>> Tried to follow the wiki-pages, but somehow after logging into gdm the
12 >>> session hangs ...
13 >>
14 >> I'm running GNOME 3 with, systemd 44 and udev 186, the first from my overlay:
15 >>
16 >> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only/
17 >>
18 >> However, the ebuilds in my overlay just change some dependencies so I
19 >> don't need to install OpenRC. Otherwise, they are identical to the
20 >> ones in the official tree. As Peter, I have the line
21 >>
22 >> -session optional pam_systemd.so
23 >>
24 >> in /etc/pam.d/system-auth. However, I still have consolekit started
25 >> (no problems whatsoever).
26 >
27 > There were some integration issues in upstream Gnome where most
28 > distros changed abruptly from using consolekit to systemd-logind which
29 > affected me when I went from systemd-44 to -185 because I ran into
30 > some race condition with -44. I imagine using consolekit will probably
31 > work in ~arch with no unmasks if you don't run into those race
32 > conditions on -44. But you gotta admit, it will probably be easier to
33 > follow the way Redhat is doing it than starting mixing and matching,
34 > because you will know that at least your combination works somewhere.
35
36 Not really "mix and match". I run systemd/udev/GNOME3 in ~amd64,
37 that's all, and I don't unmask any hard masked package. It's been
38 working fine like that since, oh I don't know, when they removed the
39 mask on GNOME 3?
40
41 Again, Stefan has probably a valid problem, and we need more info to
42 nail it down (hence the petition for $HOME/.xsession-errors). Just
43 unmasking everything and hoping that will solve the issues is usually
44 not the best practice; specially since the Gentoo developers haven't
45 decided how to handle the merge of udev/systemd.
46
47 Some want to provide a virtual/udev that systemd satisfy, and others
48 want to keep things as they were before the merge, with the udev
49 ebuild simply not installing the systemd parts.
50
51 Given that they haven't reached an agreement, I would *highly*
52 recommend not trying yet systemd/udev >= 186.
53
54 Regards.
55 --
56 Canek Peláez Valdés