From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 09:26:17
1 On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 07:13:19 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 06/01/20 23:37, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Michael,
4 > >
5 > > I got Win 10 Pro installed via the M$ tool that creates USB install
6 > >
7 > > devices. It worked fine. Reading online it seems that if M$ sees the new
8 > > disk as still the same 'hardware' then it's supposed to automatically
9 > > validate and I'd be good to go. so far, after 2 hours it hasn't done
10 > > that but I'll give it awhile and see what happens. As it only took an
11 > > hour I might still try the disk copy path and see if that comes up
12 > > validated as that would also transfer the couple of applications I have
13 > > on the original hard drive.
14 > >
15 > > Anyway, thanks for the ideas.
16 >
17 > A few more ideas from my experience -
18 >
19 > Have you ever re-installed windows and actually used the licence key
20 > that came with the laptop? No? Then try a clean install of Win10 using
21 > the Win7 key.
22
23 This will not work unless the upgrade from Win 7/8.1 took place before the
24 Microsoft imposed deadline of July 2016.
27 > Nearly all regular computers come with a bulk licence install, and the
28 > key that is actually on the sticker is usually completely unused. If you
29 > try to install Win10 with a Win7 key that has never been used, it will
30 > activate. That's how I did a clean install on my laptop. (And it's
31 > certainly true of Office, maybe of Win also - if you give it a key, it
32 > will install the version that matches the key.)
33
34 The OS Product Key for a Win 7 will not work on a Win 10, unless the free
35 upgrade option had been performed before July 2016. At least it has not
36 worked here ... You'll need a Product Key, Digital License, or a Microsoft
37 Account which has been linked to an activated Windows 10 Digital License.
40 > Or just buy a key from Amazon. I think I paid about £15 and had
41 > absolutely no trouble. I've bought a bunch of Win and Office keys off
42 > Amazon at between £10 and £20 and they've all installed no problem
43 > whatsoever. (Thanks to an EU legal ruling, MS cannot block the sale of
44 > 2nd-hand licence keys ...)
45
46 I didn't know this! Thanks for sharing.
47 --
48 Regards,
49 Mick