From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: amarok fade down
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:03:59
1 On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Stephane Guedon <stephane@××××××××××.eu> wrote:
2 > Le samedi 4 février 2012 17:52:17, Nikos Chantziaras a écrit :
3 >> On 02/04/2012 05:04 PM, Stephane Guedon wrote:
4 >> > Hi all
5 >> >
6 >> > For a long time, my amarok doesn't fade down anymore each time I use vlc
7 >> > as phonon backend. As xine is said to be deprecated, I should switch.
8 >> >
9 >> > Does anyone of you use vlc as a phonon-backend and succeed in amarok fade
10 >> > down ?
11 >> >
12 >> > If no, what else to do ?
13 >>
14 >> The VLC backend is still quite buggy.  Fades don't work and it's very
15 >> slow when seeking.  Automatically playing the next song in the list is
16 >> also broken.
17 >>
18 >> Try the GStreamer backend instead.  It's also not as good as the Xine
19 >> backend, but still somewhat better than the VLC one.  I'm astounded
20 >> though as to why KDE drops the best backend and keeps two broken ones.
21 >> Really stupid decisions going on lately in KDE camp.
22 >
23 > The bad thing is that it install many other piece of software !
24 >
25 > Gstreamer is from gnome !
26
27 GStreamer is not "from" GNOME, they are an independent project, hosted
28 at freedesktop.org. GStreamer uses glib, which arguably is originally
29 from GNOME, but everything uses glib nowadays (including KDE, check
30 the dependencies for systemsettings).
31
32 > Why using it rather than xine which is from kde ?
33
34 Xine is not from KDE. Xine existed before, if I remember correctly,
35 and doesn't use any KDE, Qt (nor GNOME, GTK+ and glib for that matter)
36 libraries.
37
38 > Really strange decision !
39
40 Actually no; the GStreamer plugin architecture is really nice, and
41 nowadays any GST based player can reproduce basically anything under
42 the sun. VLC is not as nice (IMHO), but last time I checked it worked
43 almost as good as GStreamer.
44
45 Xine was OK ten years ago; it was what I used to watch DVD's. Back
46 then it was the only DVD player able to easily change subtitles
47 (important to me, since back then I didn't understand spoken English).
48 Then it was split into xine-ui and xine-lib, and then (if again I
49 remember correctly), xine-lib was given a plugin mechanism. In other
50 words, it wasn't designed; it evolved into the current form which can
51 use plugins, and which is the only sane way to handle all the audio
52 and video formats that come and go all the time.
53
54 In short, both GStreamer and VLC can do anything that Xine do, and
55 they probably do it better. If something is not working properly, it
56 probably is a problem with the integration with KDE (via phonon). This
57 should be fixed by them in a short time.
58
59 Regards.
60 --
61 Canek Peláez Valdés