From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:50:25
1 on Wednesday 06/25/2008 Uwe Thiem(uwix@××××.na) wrote
2 > On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Yoav Luft wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I posted a similar e-mail a couple of weeks ago and got no
5 > > response. I wish not to spam the mailing list, only for maybe a
6 > > better luck this time. My CD ROM drive had stopped playing audio
7 > > CD's. It still works fine, data CD's work alright and various
8 > > programs manage to gather useful information about the audio CD's
9 > > tracks, but I hear nothing. I checked all controls in alsamixer to
10 > > be unmuted and at reasonable volume, but it's not it. I can't rip
11 > > the CD's neither. Any ideas what might be wrong?
12 >
13 > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
14 > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
15 > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
16 > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
17 > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
20 I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM has no
21 place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
22 actually put the machine together.
23 I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
24 play cds?
27 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
28 How do
29 you spend it?
30
31 John Covici