From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:01:34
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Yoav Luft wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I posted a similar e-mail a couple of weeks ago and got no
4 > response. I wish not to spam the mailing list, only for maybe a
5 > better luck this time. My CD ROM drive had stopped playing audio
6 > CD's. It still works fine, data CD's work alright and various
7 > programs manage to gather useful information about the audio CD's
8 > tracks, but I hear nothing. I checked all controls in alsamixer to
9 > be unmuted and at reasonable volume, but it's not it. I can't rip
10 > the CD's neither. Any ideas what might be wrong?
11
12 This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
13 soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
14 laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
15 subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
16 couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
17
18 Uwe
21 Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!
22 --
23 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list