From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:46:58
1 John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
4 > > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
5 > > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
6 > > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
7 > > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
10 > I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM has no
11 > place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
12 > actually put the machine together.
13 > I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
14 > play cds?
15
16 It is most inlikely that thius is related to this cable....
17
18 I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
19 ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
20
21 and install cdda2wav suid root.
22
23 Then call:
24
25 cdda2wav -e -N -B
26
27 If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
28 Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
29
30 Jörg
33 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
34 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)