From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:24:04
1 on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling(Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de) wrote
2 > John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
5 > > > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
6 > > > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
7 > > > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
8 > > > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
9 > > >
10 > >
11 > > I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM has no
12 > > place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
13 > > actually put the machine together.
14 > > I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
15 > > play cds?
16 >
17 > It is most inlikely that thius is related to this cable....
18 >
19 > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
20 > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
21 >
22 > and install cdda2wav suid root.
23 >
24 > Then call:
25 >
26 > cdda2wav -e -N -B
27 >
28 > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
29 > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
30 >
31 > Jörg
32
33 OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
34 that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
35 file or is it playing from the drive? I have cdcd and it thinks its
36 playing, bu I hear nothing. Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
37 it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.
38
39 Thanks much.
42 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
43 How do
44 you spend it?
45
46 John Covici