From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:53:28
1 John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
4 > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
5 > >
6 > > and install cdda2wav suid root.
7 > >
8 > > Then call:
9 > >
10 > > cdda2wav -e -N -B
11 > >
12 > > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
13 > > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
14 > >
15 > > Jörg
16 >
17 > OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
18 > that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
19 > file or is it playing from the drive? I have cdcd and it thinks its
20 > playing, bu I hear nothing. Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
21 > it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.
22
23 cdda2wav does things as they should be done ;-)
24
25 There are many possible reasons for your problems.
26 A big problem is that on Linux _some_ SCSI commands may be send to drives
27 without haveing root privileges and developers created GUI tools that
28 did things that will not work on other platforms and that will not even
29 work for all drives on Linux.
30
31 If the applications that does not work does not tell you why, you are lost.
32
33 Jörg
36 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
37 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)