From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:06:27
1 on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling(Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de) wrote
2 > John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
5 > > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
6 > > >
7 > > > and install cdda2wav suid root.
8 > > >
9 > > > Then call:
10 > > >
11 > > > cdda2wav -e -N -B
12 > > >
13 > > > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
14 > > > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
15 > > >
16 > > > Jörg
17 > >
18 > > OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
19 > > that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
20 > > file or is it playing from the drive? I have cdcd and it thinks its
21 > > playing, bu I hear nothing. Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
22 > > it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.
23 >
24 > cdda2wav does things as they should be done ;-)
25 >
26 > There are many possible reasons for your problems.
27 > A big problem is that on Linux _some_ SCSI commands may be send to drives
28 > without haveing root privileges and developers created GUI tools that
29 > did things that will not work on other platforms and that will not even
30 > work for all drives on Linux.
31 >
32 > If the applications that does not work does not tell you why, you are lost.
35 Well, cdcd is what I would like to use, it thinks it is playing, and
36 did work when I had a driv with that cable, but I hear no sound now.
37 I think it is reading the data off of the cd and I guess its not doing
38 the correct thing with it.
39
40 Can you recomend a console player with some features like rewind, fast
41 forward, pause and title lookup, etc -- I don't mind changing if I
42 need to change.
45 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
46 How do
47 you spend it?
48
49 John Covici