From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Using KDE apps in a non KDE environment
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 15:42:42
1 On 2015-10-02, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking, with
4 > respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to. The semantic
5 > desktop, or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it, is one
6 > thing that comes immediately to mind.
7 >
8 > Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt. The
9 > problem is that I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few
10 > more. Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge in
11 > kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries, which I can
12 > live with, but not the whole desktop environment?
13
14 Yes, for some value of "a few libraries".
15
16 I've used KDE apps on XFCE systems (which is gtk based). It can be
17 done. It requires a lot of KDE librarys, but you don't have to use the
18 KDE desktop.
19
20 But, in my experience, whenever there's a major upgrade to KDE and you
21 have KDE apps that require different versions of libraries, or
22 backwards compatibility features built into libraries, it gets ugly
23 fast. At that point, I ususally end up uninstalling all KDE apps/libs
24 and doing without for a while.
27 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm in direct contact
28 at with many advanced fun
29 gmail.com CONCEPTS.