From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Using KDE apps in a non KDE environment
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 16:30:51
1 On 02/10/2015 17:42, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2015-10-02, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >> I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking, with
5 >> respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to. The semantic
6 >> desktop, or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it, is one
7 >> thing that comes immediately to mind.
8 >>
9 >> Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt. The
10 >> problem is that I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few
11 >> more. Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge in
12 >> kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries, which I can
13 >> live with, but not the whole desktop environment?
14 >
15 > Yes, for some value of "a few libraries".
16 >
17 > I've used KDE apps on XFCE systems (which is gtk based). It can be
18 > done. It requires a lot of KDE librarys, but you don't have to use the
19 > KDE desktop.
20 >
21 > But, in my experience, whenever there's a major upgrade to KDE and you
22 > have KDE apps that require different versions of libraries, or
23 > backwards compatibility features built into libraries, it gets ugly
24 > fast. At that point, I ususally end up uninstalling all KDE apps/libs
25 > and doing without for a while.
28 With situations like this, one has to apply some intelligence (and the
29 reverse is also true - running gtk/Gnome apps on a KDE system). A few
30 simple apps like say okular or konsole will be very manageable, as they
31 have specific narrow functionality and are not core.
32
33 As soon as you get into apps like dolphin or, god forbid, plasma - then
34 the wheels come off. Both those things hook into core KDE functionality
35 and go to the heart of what makes KDE KDE. Plasma in the context of gtk
36 doesn't make any sense to me, plasma really is intended to drive the
37 heart of a KDE desktop. ANd god help anyone that tries to run anything
38 with kdepim in it - that abomination should not even run on KDE!
39
40 I have the reverse here, a few GTK apps on a KDE desktop and it's very
41 manageable. The main apps are handbrake, firefox, thunderbird. I see no
42 reason why the opposite wouldn't also be true if the admin is smart
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com