From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub chainloader
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:26:41
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2007 01:02, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 18:12 -0500, »Q« wrote:
3 > > In <news:bf6b6d5c0707171550sa74b587v3652ac2f00d3be8e@××××××××××.com>,
4 > >
5 > > Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > >I've read the GRUB documentation, but still don't understand why the
7 > > >following worked:
8 > >
9 > > [snip grub.conf]
10 > >
11 > > >I would've thought that the chainloader +1 statement would be required
12 > > >-- that's my experience at least.
13 > >
14 > > It's only needed if you're booting an unsupported (by grub) OS;
15 >
16 > no only unsupported OSs, you can chainload anything (bootable) such as
17 > another linux distro, which has installed a bootloader into the
18 > partition. See how this guy booted 30+ OS's from grub:
19 > http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=134856
20 >
21 > > it
22 > > tells grub to just hand off to another bootloader. The +1 tells grub
23 > > to load the first sector of the OS's partition, which is where the
24 > > other bootloader should be embedded.
25 > >
26 > > As long as you're booting Linux kernels, you can just point grub at
27 > > them without using another bootloader.
28 >
29 > you mean as long as grub understands the kernel and filesystem, you can
30 > tell grub to load the kernel directly, with provided arguments.
31 >
32 > I think :)
33
34 If you have some reason not to mix one OS', or distro's boot files, kernels,
35 etc with another, plus if you want to try a different version of grub then
36 you can install grub separately in the new OS partition (instead of the MBR)
37 and chainload this from your primary grub installation. Should you wish to
38 remove the new OS at a later date, you will not need to rummage through the
39 primary OS' /boot to clean out redundant kernel images and what not.
40
41 Otherwise, as already mentioned, Grub will boot natively all Linux distros.
42 --
43 Regards,
44 Mick