From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub chainloader
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:11:56
1 On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 18:12 -0500, »Q« wrote:
2 > In <news:bf6b6d5c0707171550sa74b587v3652ac2f00d3be8e@××××××××××.com>,
3 > Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > >I've read the GRUB documentation, but still don't understand why the
6 > >following worked:
7 >
8 > [snip grub.conf]
9 >
10 > >I would've thought that the chainloader +1 statement would be required
11 > >-- that's my experience at least.
12 >
13 > It's only needed if you're booting an unsupported (by grub) OS;
14
15 no only unsupported OSs, you can chainload anything (bootable) such as
16 another linux distro, which has installed a bootloader into the
17 partition. See how this guy booted 30+ OS's from grub:
18 http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=134856
19
20 > it
21 > tells grub to just hand off to another bootloader. The +1 tells grub
22 > to load the first sector of the OS's partition, which is where the
23 > other bootloader should be embedded.
24 >
25 > As long as you're booting Linux kernels, you can just point grub at
26 > them without using another bootloader.
27
28 you mean as long as grub understands the kernel and filesystem, you can
29 tell grub to load the kernel directly, with provided arguments.
30
31 I think :)
32
33 cya,
37 Kevin: Dad, the fish got away.
38 Joe Swanson: The hell it did. You get in there and you kick that fish's ass.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list