From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling first and then installing using -K
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:21:13
1 On 17/02/2020 20:01, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 17/02/2020 10:26, Dale wrote:
4 >>> I ran into a issue with qt upgrades and it got interesting.  Since it
5 >>> was part way through, some applications that I needed wouldn't open due
6 >>> to a mismatch in versions. [...]
7 >>>
8 >>> !!! --buildpkgonly requires all dependencies to be merged.
9 >>> !!! Cannot merge requested packages. Merge deps and try again.
10 >>>
11 >>> So, I have to emerge packages in order to emerge others.  I get that
12 >>> packages depend on each other but is there a way around that?
13 >> You'd need to maintain two gentoo installs (A and B) with the same
14 >> exact configuration with B serving as the build machine. Then you'd
15 >> emerge the packages in B, make binary packages out of every package,
16 >> and then emerge those in A.
19 > Would a chroot work for that?  I'm pretty sure it would but want to be
20 > certain before I set all that up.  I'm pretty sure I can dig around and
21 > find a hard drive somewhere.
22
23 Sure. Although it might be easier to use a container instead (like LXD
24 or Docker.)
25
26 Grub has nothing to do with it. You wouldn't actually run grub in the
27 container or chroot. You'd only install the grub package.
28
29 A VM like Mark suggested would probably be even easier to set up.
30 Although getting to the packages would be more complicated and it would
31 also be slower (and with the recent meltdown/spectre mitigation stuff,
32 probably much slower.) A chroot or container on the other hand is
33 extremely lightweight. There's no virtualization involved (or very
34 little of it), so it should be pretty much as fast as a native system.