From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] JPG attachments - Macintosh BinHex-encoded file
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:44:35
1 On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:18:39AM -0800, Penguin Lover Mark Knecht squawked:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'm in Gnome and received what appear to be some JPG files from a
4 > friend. When I try to open them I get the following message:
7 > The filename "DSCN2448.JPG" indicates that this file is of type "JPEG
8 > image". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
9 > "Macintosh BinHex-encoded file". If you open this file, the file might
10 > present a security risk to your system.
11 >
12 > Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
13 > the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to
14 > the correct extension for "Macintosh BinHex-encoded file", then open
15 > the file normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a
16 > specific application for the file.
19 I think that is just the standard error Gnome throws up with the
20 extension on the file does not match the header.
21
22 Does your friend perhaps use a Mac? the BinHex format is a conversion
23 from binary data to ASCII for mail. It's like uuencode, but for Macs.
24
25 Try:
26 emerge macutil
27
28 You probably want to run hexbin on the file you received, but I am not
29 absolutely sure.
30
31 HTH
32
33 W
34 --
35 "As he came into the light they could see his black and
36 gold uniform on which the buttons were so highly polished
37 that they shone with an intensity that would have made an
38 approaching motorist flash his lights in annoyance. "
39 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 54 days, 9:51
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list