From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eudev/udev changeover: a warning to Linode customers
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 23:27:44
1 Marco Rebhan wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 1 December 2021 20:44:48 CET Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >> I have been running eudev for as long as it has existed, and have also
4 >> been using the predictable interface names more or less since they
5 >> were introduced. The eudev ebuild also shows a message about this
6 >> every single time you emerge it (with ewarn messages in pkg_pretend).
7 >> This was apparently available in eudev within a month of the change
8 >> in systemd. No one should be surprised by this.
9 > Yeah, I was wondering why people were hitting this problem, the
10 > predictable interface names have been in eudev as well for a
11 > considerable while. I had them disabled with the same net.ifnames=0 that
12 > others are mentioning now to get the old names (mainly since they're
13 > just easier to remember). I was maybe thinking that there could be a
14 > configuration option for it that didn't get changed on existing installs
15 > when this was initially introduced in eudev, which would have explained
16 > it since my installs aren't that old. But if it automatically used the
17 > new names for you then I have no idea either. Nothing should have
18 > changed in this regard with this update as far as I can tell...
19 >
20 > -Marco
23 What made this affect me, I think the method is different to disable it
24 in udev than it is in eudev.  I had something set, not on the kernel
25 line tho, to disable it on mine when using eudev.  I think it is a udev
26 rules file.  Thing is, when I rebooted with udev installed, it ignored
27 the method eudev uses and used the newer naming method.  If the same
28 option worked for both, then I would likely have seen no difference at
29 all.  I might add, that is what I was expecting and was surprised to
30 find it not to be the case.  When I switched from udev to eudev ages
31 ago, I did nothing but remove udev and install eudev.  That's it.  I
32 don't recall changing anything else but that was ages ago.
33
34 I'm hoping others doing this switch will notice my thread and this
35 thread to prevent them from switching and not realizing it can break
36 things until it is configured correctly.  Bad thing is, it breaks one
37 thing that is needed to get help, the connection to the internet.  If it
38 is a remote machine, that is really bad.
39
40 Let's hope this alerts others to double and maybe even triple check
41 things before rebooting.
42
43 Dale
44