From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel config thingy, "make menuconfig"
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 06:06:59
1 tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2022-01-15 23:13-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> tastytea wrote:
5 >>> On 2022-01-15 21:04-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Grant Taylor wrote:
8 >>>>> On 1/15/22 7:47 AM, tastytea wrote:
9 >>>>>> Did you know you can search with / and then jump to the results
10 >>>>>> with the number keys?
11 >>>>> I've been using the search for decades*.  But I didn't know about
12 >>>>> the number keys to jump until reading this message and trying it.
13 >>>>> #TIL
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> *Yes, I've been using Linux for more than two decades.  It's been
16 >>>>> my primary desktop for almost all of that time too.
17 >>>> You are not alone Grant.  I started with my first puter back in
18 >>>> 2003 and I had no idea about the number thing.  I gave it a test
19 >>>> run and gosh darn it, it worked.  That's a lot better than trying
20 >>>> to hunt the thing down.
21 >>> I only learned about it a few years ago, after more than 10 years of
22 >>> compiling kernels. Maybe someone s
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> I think you got cut off up there.  O_o
28 > Oops! I meant to say: Maybe someone should add a help text to the
29 > interface. 😊
30 >
31 >> This is one thing about this list.  I'm always finding some tidbit of
32 >> info that makes something easier.  My problem, remembering it.
33 > Yeah, I'm pretty sure I learned this trick from this list (or was it
34 > one of the IRC channels? 🤔).
35 >
36 > Kind regards, tastytea
39 I've searched for info on this.  I even tried typing in make and then
40 hitting tab twice.  It never gave me anything so I guess it doesn't work
41 there.  So, I'm learning as I go.
42
43 I got nconfig to work.  The others didn't because of missing packages.
44 It's interesting how many different ways there is to config a kernel.  I
45 went to a link that was posted, still reading it.  May learn something
46 else, if I can remember it when I need it.  lol
47
48 Dale
49