From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stage3 only for i486?
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 19:18:06
1 On 02/04/2013 19:51, Davide Carnovale wrote:
2 > Hi all gentoo people!
3 > I've been away from gentoo for a while, and I'm in the process of
4 > reinstalling it today.
5 > While downloading the stage 3 I noticed that only an i486 version is
6 > available. As far as I remember, gentoo was best known, back in the
7 > days, for being fast, as it was one of the first distro to support
8 > i686... am i wrong with this? if not, why only i486 today?
9 >
10 > apart from the reasons behind the decision of shipping only an i486
11 > stage 3, do you think it's worth the pain to recompile everything
12 > (like the old stage1) for a different arch? i have an intel i5
13 > processor.
14
15 You have been gone a while :-)
16
17 These days we don't do the whole stage 1/2/3 thing while rebuilding the
18 whole lot multiple times.
19
20 Nowadays we just unpack a suitable stage 3 into a chroot, tweak CFLAGS,
21 "emerge -e world", then emerge all the packages you use.
22
23 The stage3 tarballs are normally quite out of date so you will rebuild
24 the whole lot anyway asap. If your workstation is also your buildhost,
25 the bests start for CFLAGS with a reasonably recent gcc is
26
27 CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
28
29 and CHOST, as always, is something you should not be touching at all.
30
31 IOW, as long as you start with the desired ABI (32 vs 64 bit) your first
32 update is going to optimize and fix things anyway. So don't wprry about it.
33
34 Oh, and "gentoo is fast" is a nono swear word these days. That's ricing
35 :-) Nowadays we say the benefit of gentoo is USE so you get what *you*
36 want :-)
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com