From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:03:50
1 James wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >>> The problem is, and is not, legal papers.
7 >>> Because, IMO, legal papers are the visible part of an Iceberg. Could
8 >>> someone tell me what *really* is the crisis ? If people did not do what
9 >>> they were supposed to do : what should they have done ?
10 >>>
11 >
12 > Excellent point. I ask the question. Exactly what is Daniel proposing
13 > that has everyone so opposed to his return. Don't give generalized
14 > bullshit answers, BE PRECISE.....
17 > The current lack of mature, focused leadership, by folks that are
18 > technically and financially successful is apparent if one just reads this
19 > list over a period of time. I say this as a mature Engineer with
20 > a Master's Degree in Computer Science. I make a good living out of
21 > my garage, and I've owned and sold several business for a nice
22 > profit, over the years......
23 >
24 > < SNIP >
25
26 I agree. I saw a post somewhere that some are pretty young and act
27 their age, if even that much. It makes Gentoo look bad when even one
28 person goes off kilter like that.
29
30 > < SNIP >
31 > I read one poster that blasted Ciaran McCreesh....
32 > Also recently, I read a thread where he created an alternative
33 > to portage, and that many respected techies on this list actually
34 > use his replacement for portage. The poster that blasted Ciaran, misses
35 > a simple point. (Machiavellian aside). You have break some eggs to
36 > create an omlette.
37 >
38 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccol%C3%B2_Machiavelli
41 I have read a lot of posts on -dev by Ciaran. I'm not defending how he
42 says some things but he does have some good points. I also keep in mind
43 that he has created a alternative to portage and from what I have read
44 it works VERY well and is even better than portage. I don't use it but
45 I have read where people are talking about their experience with his
46 program. He should be given a lot of credit for that and at least have
47 his ideas heard in a more "respectful" way.
48
49 On that note, at least he has enough balls to say something on -dev. I
50 posted a concern a long time ago and got hammered by just one person,
51 acting like a 3 year old who got his candy took away. It is very rare,
52 if I have posted at all now. It's just not worth it. It seems to me
53 that there is a very few people that seem to think they "own" -dev and
54 Gentoo. By the way, some others also didn't like the post that was made
55 to me. It helped but it is just not worth it. I'm disabled and 40
56 years old, feels like about 70 most days, and just to old for that crap.
57 > My wife is a very successful computer engineer (hundreds of products).
58 > She is vile and very rough on EEs that design hardware. Only the
59 > most competent hardware designers can work with her. Their eggos are
60 > often bruised when their selection of uP/DSP/processor is not
61 > robust for the product they envision...... Get over it!
62 > The planet is ruled by those with mental fortitude (PERIOD).
63 > Most of her customers come from referrals or from semiconductor
64 > representatives directly.
65 >
66 > You don't like this, take it up with the author of the universe
67 > (whomever you believe that is).....
68 >
69 > Gentoo needs leadership that is accountable to the user community
70 > but also bound to a set of bylaws that we agree with. Keeping the
71 > distro free is paramount, but, creating avenues for financial success
72 > for products and services centric to gentoo is a necessary
73 > requisite too, IMHO.
76 > James
80 True, even things that are free have to have money. It never makes it
81 without it.
82
83 Dale
84