From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:05:01
1 On Saturday 26 February 2011 00:24:50 Dale wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > let memtest86 run - for 12h.
4 > > increase ram voltage - a bit. Like 0.01V.
5 > > get a different psu.
6 >
7 > 12 hours? By that time, I would be in a rubber room. I would go nuts.
8 > lol I did let it run for almost 5 hours tho. No errors.
9 >
10 > Ooooo, I hate changing voltages. Always afraid I will let the smoke
11 > out. We all know what happens when the smoke gets out. No more worky.
12 > lol May have to, don't want to tho.
13 >
14 > I think my P/S in my old rig will work in here. If I get to the point
15 > of knowing it is hardware, that will be my first test. It doesn't cost
16 > anything to test either. I'm still hoping it will be a OS problem tho,
17 > bad file or something.
18 >
19 > This reminds me. I did have to do the sysrq key thing the other day. I
20 > was at a console but I was logged into KDE too. Maybe that messed up
21 > something. Some file got corrupted or something.
22
23 Before you start tweaking voltages and replacing PSUs you better test your
24 *new* memory modules thoroughly, even if that means that you will be using
25 your old machine for a day or so.
26
27 Personally I usually remove all memory modules and then test one at a time
28 overnight with memtest 86+. If it gives any errors at all I would send it
29 back to the shop.
30
31 If they all pass, then voltage and PSU issues will need to be looked at.
32
33 Good luck.
34 --
35 Regards,