From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 17:52:10
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 16:21:10 +0100
4 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Michael Mol writes:
7
8 [system does not boot after UDEV upgrade]
9
10 > > Ran into the same problem, with my sister's PC. Which I had updated
11 > > from remote, so I did not see the elogs. I do not think it is correct
12 > > behaviour to continue building udev although the system wouldn't boot
13 > > with that kernel option missing. I would expect the udev ebuild to
14 > > check the running kernel for that option, and refuse to build until
15 > > it has it set. Or until building is forced by some USE flag or an
16 > > environment variable.
17 > >
18 > > Had these things not been handled better in the past?
19 >
20 > There's a furious debate going on in -dev about this very thing, and
21 > the bottom line is that your statements above are way too simplistic.
22 >
23 > - there is no guarantee that /proc/config.gz represents the kernel the
24 > binary will actually run on (this emerge might well be the last
25 > process you ever run on that kernel)
26 > - there is no guarantee that /usr/src/linux corresponds to anything at
27 > all (it's a symlink and can point to anything, even invalid stuff)
28 > - there is no guarantee that the build host will run the code (think
29 > build farms, crossdev etc, so every available config cannot possibly
30 > be valid)
31 > - and a couple more
32
33 Sure, all this is not guaranteed. But IF there is a /proc/config.gz and
34 a /usr/src/linux/.config without the DEVTMPFS entry, it is quite probable
35 that the system will not boot. And I think a single line 'DEVTMPFS is not
36 set in this kernel. Udev will not run.' along many others is not enough.
37
38 > Basically, the only thing left for the ebuild devs is to notify the
39 > user with the important information.
40
41 That's okay with my PC I am sitting at. But on my sister's PC, I just
42 logged in and started a world update, not monitoring the process all the
43 time. She turned the thing off before I was able to read the elog, and
44 she was surprised when it did not boot the next day. How should I have
45 known what would happen?
48 > The question is not whether to halt the build or not (that cannot and
49 > will not be done) but how to do the communication:
50 >
51 > - news item
52
53 There is one, from 2013-01-23, ending with 'Apologies if this news came
54 too late for you.'
55
56 Okay, if that one came a little earlier, I would have been fine.
57
58 > - elog
59 > - README
60 > - some arb notice on a web site somewhere
61 > .....
62 >
63 > This is gentoo, the distro that does not hold your hand and gives you
64 > every opportunity to keep both pieces. This is a good example of such.
65
66 I'm using Gentoo for > 10 years now, and this is the first time such
67 a thing has happened to me. Normally, the devs do quite a good job
68 informing people about such changes that need to be dealt with, but this
69 time I was not pleased.
70
71 But I'll stop complaining. This incident just seems a little odd to me,
72 unusual for Gentoo.
73
74 Alex