From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:18:42
1 On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 16:21:10 +0100
2 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Michael Mol writes:
5 >
6 > > So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
7 > > steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.
8 >
9 > [...]
10 >
11 > > Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
12 > > kernel.[2] I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and
13 > > a plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it
14 > > and rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.
15 >
16 > Ran into the same problem, with my sister's PC. Which I had updated
17 > from remote, so I did not see the elogs. I do not think it is correct
18 > behaviour to continue building udev although the system wouldn't boot
19 > with that kernel option missing. I would expect the udev ebuild to
20 > check the running kernel for that option, and refuse to build until
21 > it has it set. Or until building is forced by some USE flag or an
22 > environment variable.
23 >
24 > Had these things not been handled better in the past?
25
26 There's a furious debate going on in -dev about this very thing, and
27 the bottom line is that your statements above are way too simplistic.
28
29 - there is no guarantee that /proc/config.gz represents the kernel the
30 binary will actually run on (this emerge might well be the last
31 process you ever run on that kernel)
32 - there is no guarantee that /usr/src/linux corresponds to anything at
33 all (it's a symlink and can point to anything, even invalid stuff)
34 - there is no guarantee that the build host will run the code (think
35 build farms, crossdev etc, so every available config cannot possibly
36 be valid)
37 - and a couple more
38
39 Basically, the only thing left for the ebuild devs is to notify the
40 user with the important information.
41
42 The question is not whether to halt the build or not (that cannot and
43 will not be done) but how to do the communication:
44
45 - news item
46 - elog
47 - README
48 - some arb notice on a web site somewhere
49 .....
50
51 This is gentoo, the distro that does not hold your hand and gives you
52 every opportunity to keep both pieces. This is a good example of such.
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com