From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 15:21:24
1 Michael Mol writes:
2
3 > So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
4 > steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.
5
6 [...]
7
8 > Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
9 > kernel.[2] I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and a
10 > plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it and
11 > rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.
12
13 Ran into the same problem, with my sister's PC. Which I had updated from
14 remote, so I did not see the elogs. I do not think it is correct
15 behaviour to continue building udev although the system wouldn't boot
16 with that kernel option missing. I would expect the udev ebuild to check
17 the running kernel for that option, and refuse to build until it has it
18 set. Or until building is forced by some USE flag or an environment
19 variable.
20
21 Had these things not been handled better in the past?
22
23 Alex