From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA - No Sound
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:51:40
1 On 01/23/2011 12:47 PM, pk wrote:
2 > On 2011-01-23 14:23, dhk wrote:
3 >
4 >> The Sound Blaster didn't work either. Should I try enabling the
5 >> deprecated OSS in the kernel?
6 >
7 > You can always try it but I highly doubt it would improve the situation...
8 >
9 > What sound related USE flags have you enabled (i.e. alsa, oss[for
10 > compatibility] etc.)?
11 >
12 > Are you using any sound daemons (like Esound or Pulseaudio)? Shut them
13 > down. Are you sure you've plugged the speaker/headphone cable(s) into
14 > the right jack? Whenever I install a new computer I always put some
15 > music on and try the different audio jacks to find the right one. How do
16 > you play sound to verify that you have (or not, in your case) sound? For
17 > the last part I would advise to keep it as simple as possible i.e. try
18 > ogg123 or mpg123 or mplayer (as an example).
19 >
20 > Best regards
21 >
22 > Peter K
26 My make.conf Use is: USE="-arts -doc -evo -firefox -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4
27 -java X alsa cairo cdr device-mapper extras gdu gnome gtk jpeg png
28 policykit sqlite svg tiff udev xml xulrunner xvmc"
29
30 Everything is plugged in correctly and checked many times. As far as I
31 know there aren't any sound daemons running, this is a new install, only
32 a couple of weeks old. Everything looks like it should be working, the
33 only thing is I don't hear anything. Since I hear other things I'm sure
34 I'm not deaf and can rule that out. This is a basic set up with lvm2,
35 gnome, firefox, thunderbird, and openoffice. That's about it, nothing
36 fancy.