From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *draft* for setting up network bridge with systemd (for qemu/kvm)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 20:21:58
1 On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I would not bet on that ;) too much resistance. However it is
5 >> certainly getting better and better: the LWN article on The Biggest
6 >> Myths about systemd had an overwhelmingly majority of comments
7 >> positive to systemd, and just a handful of negative comments:
8 >>
9 >> http://lwn.net/Articles/534210/#Comments
10 >>
11 >> But that is in LWN; Gentoo is way behind, I believe.
12 >
13 > Gentoo is not behind, it provides you the option of using systemd.
14 >
15 > However openrc is superior in many ways, as unlike systemd it provides
16 > script base metadata vs static systemd units, so for example a service
17 > can depend on other services based on LOGIC. Also, it has the nature
18 > of virtual dependencies what systemd lacks, for example there are N
19 > services that provides timesync, in openrc you provide timesync and
20 > depend on timesync, in systemd there is no way to do so.
21
22 I really should not enter into this discussion (again), and even less
23 with a Gentoo dev (BTW, thanks for all the great work). However, this:
24 "for example there are N services that provides timesync, in openrc
25 you provide timesync and depend on timesync, in systemd there is no
26 way to do so" it's just a lie (or missinformation).
27 display-manager.service and syslog.service work like this; they are
28 soft links to the desired service (gdm.service and syslog.service, for
29 example), and other units depend on them. They work like virtuals in
30 Gentoo.
31
32 > openrc is
33 > working in various environments including embedded, while systemd
34 > requires so much dependencies that it is not really usable at all
35 > environments.
36
37 I don't know about "all environments", but ProFUSION [1] works in
38 embedded systems and several of its developers are systemd upstream.
39
40 Also GENIVI, the standardized common software platform for developing
41 in-vehicle infotainment (IVI), uses systemd.
42
43 > openrc can be used correctly in chroot environment,
44 > while systemd is inoperative.
45
46 I know it's not exactly the same, but with systemd we have
47 systemd-nspawn, which I (IMHO) consider far superior: man 1
48 systemd-nspawn.
49
50 > openrc supports extra commands for
51 > services, while systemd enforces only start/stop sequence. I can go on
52 > an on.
53
54 Yeah, OpenRC needs zap, because sometimes a daemon ends unexpectedly,
55 and OpenRC is unable to detect it. I would not call this an advantage,
56 though.
57
58 > Just because there is hype of some branding, does not mean it is better.
59
60 I believe it's better, but it's only my opinion; it's certainly better
61 for my use-cases. I don't want to impose systemd on anyone, but I
62 would be really happy if I could *easily* uninstall OpenRC from
63 Gentoo, since I don't use it. I'm using an ovelay [2] right now, but
64 is far from optimal.
65
66 And, BTW, I didn't mean "behind" in the sense that Gentoo doesn't
67 support systemd; I meant "behind" in the sense that us systemd users
68 get a lot flak just by mention it in the list.
69
70 [1] http://www.profusion.mobi/
71 [2] https://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only
72