From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bindmount or symlink?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:07:59
1 On Mar 13, 2012 2:00 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:04:00 +0700
4 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > > I am seriously thinking of splitting the storage of directories
7 > > under /usr, e.g., /usr/portage and /usr/source actually living
8 > > somewhere else, on different partition and different filesystem.
9 > > Let's say something mounted on /mnt/Persistent.
10 > >
11 > > My question: should I use bindmount or symlinks to do that? What's the
12 > > drawbacks/benefits for either?
13 > >
14 > > Rgds,
15 >
16 > You should do neither as they do not give you split storage, they
17 > both give you the same thing in two different places.
18 >
19 > Create two new filesystems and mount them.
20 >
21 > I personally use /var/portage as there is no good reason for it to be
22 > under /usr where it is just clutter.
23 >
24 > Code goes in /usr
25 > Data goes in /var
26 >
27 > You have to change PORTDIR in /etc/make.conf for this to work as well
28 > as /etc/make.profile. Nothing breaks without it, you just get errors
29 > from portage
32 Eh? But I put portage, src, share, etc. on a different partition mounted
33 under /mnt ... doesn't that mean I am using a split filesystem?
34
35 Rgds,