From: Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LC_ALL etc. not set when sshing into TMux
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 19:11:28
1 Hi,
2
3 after upgrading to an admittedly masked TMux 2.2, when I want
4 to ssh into it I get the following message:
5
6 $ ssh -t gentoohost tmux attach
7 tmux: need UTF-8 locale (LC_CTYPE) but have ANSI_X3.4-1968
8 Connection to gentoohost.mydomain.local closed.
9
10 To find out what locale is set I wrote this little C
11 program:
12
13 int main(int argc, char **argv, char **env)
14 {
15 char **e;
16 for (e = env; *e != 0; e++)
17 printf( "%s\n", *e);
18 return 0;
19 }
20
21 Then, after compiling,
22
23 $ ssh -t chris ./showenv | grep '^LC\|^LANG'
24
25 this yields the empty result indeed. Therefore I guess
26 TMux's behaviour is correct and the mistake is done by some
27 ssh or login or whatsoever.
28
29 The top (grandparent) sshd process has LC_ALL and LANG set
30 with utf8, but the childs and grandchilds environments are
31 empty.
32
33 Probably I could get rid of the error message by SSH's
34 SendEnv feature, but this would be just a workaround.
35
36 What is your suggestion to solve this?
37
38 Thanks in advance,
39
40 Bertram