From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:28:32
1 2012/3/11 Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com>:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I had some struggle with a separate /usr on top of LVM and the dracut
5 > thing. I noticed that udev was complaining at boot that it could not
6 > find some scripts.
7 >
8 > The usmount dracut module did not work for me because it could not
9 > find /usr. So what I did was to include the fstab-sys smodule in
10 > dracut:
11 >
12 > /etc/dracut.conf
13 >
14 > # Dracut modules to omit
15 > omit_dracutmodules+="usrmount"
16 >
17 > # Dracut modules to add to the default
18 > add_dracutmodules+="fstab-sys"
19 >
20 > Then I created /etc/fstab.sys with just the /usr partition
21 >
22 > /dev/disk/by-uuid/90d82b02-e6c2-4011-940e-783d12b0c4fe          /usr            ext4            noatime         1 2
23 >
24 > Dracut could only find the partition by using the uuid (use blkid to
25 > find it easily).
26
27 > The next step was to remove /usr from /etc/fstab to prevent /usr from
28 > being mounted twice (the boot process does not like it).
29
30 Mmmh. Could you try to use LABEL= in /etc/fstab (not /etc/fstab), and
31 see if that way it gets mounted, and only once? The udev developers
32 recommend using either UUID or LABEL; and LABEL it's easier (and
33 prettier) to set.
34
35 > The last obstacle is /etc/mtab. By the time /usr is mounted I believe
36 > / is mounted as read only, so mount cannot update /etc/mtab. The
37 > trivial solutions is to delete /etc/mtab and make it a symlink to
38 > /proc/mounts . In that case it is always up to date.
39
40 I think the link is to /proc/self/mounts; /proc/mounts it's a link to
41 it, actually.
42
43 > Of course, YMMV. Be careful when changing things that can prevent your
44 > machine from booting and make sure you have a live CD at hand.
45
46 Good advice. Regards.
47 --
48 Canek Peláez Valdés