From: "Jorge Martínez López" <jorgeml@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:18:27
1 Hi!
2
3 I had some struggle with a separate /usr on top of LVM and the dracut
4 thing. I noticed that udev was complaining at boot that it could not
5 find some scripts.
6
7 The usmount dracut module did not work for me because it could not
8 find /usr. So what I did was to include the fstab-sys smodule in
9 dracut:
10
11 /etc/dracut.conf
12
13 # Dracut modules to omit
14 omit_dracutmodules+="usrmount"
15
16 # Dracut modules to add to the default
17 add_dracutmodules+="fstab-sys"
18
19 Then I created /etc/fstab.sys with just the /usr partition
20
21 /dev/disk/by-uuid/90d82b02-e6c2-4011-940e-783d12b0c4fe /usr ext4 noatime 1 2
22
23 Dracut could only find the partition by using the uuid (use blkid to
24 find it easily).
25
26 The next step was to remove /usr from /etc/fstab to prevent /usr from
27 being mounted twice (the boot process does not like it).
28
29 The last obstacle is /etc/mtab. By the time /usr is mounted I believe
30 / is mounted as read only, so mount cannot update /etc/mtab. The
31 trivial solutions is to delete /etc/mtab and make it a symlink to
32 /proc/mounts . In that case it is always up to date.
33
34 Of course, YMMV. Be careful when changing things that can prevent your
35 machine from booting and make sure you have a live CD at hand.
36
37 Cheers,
38 --
39 Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@×××××.com> http://www.jorgeml.net