From: Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am tired of this one.
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 21:31:04
1 On 08/02/12 13:53, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Willie Matthews
3 > <matthews.willie@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hello everyone,
5 >>
6 >> I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
7 >> video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
8 >> onto the board.
9 >>
10 >> Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
11 >> try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
12 >> ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
13 >> I am using the xfce compositor.
14 >>
15 >> While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
16 >> open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
17 >> has to do with flash in chrome.
18 >>
19 >> A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
20 >> the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
21 >> is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
22 >> much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
23 >>
24 >> When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
25 >> Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
26 >>
27 >> I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
28 >> that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
29 >> use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
30 >> support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
31 >>
32 >> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
33 >>
34 >> --
35 >>
36 >> Willie Matthews
37 >> matthews.willie@×××××.com
40 > Hi Willie,
41 > Sorry for the problems. I use two NVidia cards with nvidia-drivers
42 > and don't have any stability problems. My cards are the GTX465 & a
43 > 8400GS which are both CUDA-based. There are some very real OpenGL
44 > issues with this setup, as well as all the Flash on NVidia problems,
45 > but no stability problems.
46 >
47 > As for your setup, if I was to guess I'd start wondering if the
48 > NVidia driver supports two cards where one is CUDA-based and the other
49 > isn't. I tried Googling for that with no real results.
50 >
51 > Note: I do use an xorg.conf file on my system, as well as the
52 > newest drivers. You didn't provide much technical info about your
53 > setup so maybe that could be posted?
54 >
55 > nvidia-smi reports the correct amount of memory on my two cards.
56 >
57 > Good luck,
58 > Mark
59 >
60 Hey Mark,
61
62 What technical information would you like me to post? I am not to good
63 with troubleshooting.
64
65 Driver Version is x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-302.17:0
69 Willie Matthews
70 matthews.willie@×××××.com