From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I am tired of this one.
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:55:00
1 On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Willie Matthews
2 <matthews.willie@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hello everyone,
4 >
5 > I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
6 > video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
7 > onto the board.
8 >
9 > Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
10 > try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
11 > ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
12 > I am using the xfce compositor.
13 >
14 > While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
15 > open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
16 > has to do with flash in chrome.
17 >
18 > A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
19 > the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
20 > is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
21 > much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
22 >
23 > When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
24 > Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
25 >
26 > I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
27 > that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
28 > use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
29 > support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
30 >
31 > Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
32 >
33 > --
34 >
35 > Willie Matthews
36 > matthews.willie@×××××.com
40 Hi Willie,
41 Sorry for the problems. I use two NVidia cards with nvidia-drivers
42 and don't have any stability problems. My cards are the GTX465 & a
43 8400GS which are both CUDA-based. There are some very real OpenGL
44 issues with this setup, as well as all the Flash on NVidia problems,
45 but no stability problems.
46
47 As for your setup, if I was to guess I'd start wondering if the
48 NVidia driver supports two cards where one is CUDA-based and the other
49 isn't. I tried Googling for that with no real results.
50
51 Note: I do use an xorg.conf file on my system, as well as the
52 newest drivers. You didn't provide much technical info about your
53 setup so maybe that could be posted?
54
55 nvidia-smi reports the correct amount of memory on my two cards.
56
57 Good luck,
58 Mark