From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags handling
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:26:29
1 On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:34:04 +0430, behrouz khosravi wrote:
2
3 > Now I am thinking about managing USE flags.
4 > What if I disable everything in the make.conf ( I mean USE="-*" ) and
5 > gradually add the needed flags to package.use?
6
7 You may well break your system, but you get to keep the pieces as a
8 lesson.
9
10 Portage profiles set some default USE flags, then some ebuilds also set
11 defaults. Using USE="-*" disables all of these. You can see the defaults
12 by looking at the output from emerge --info with no USE defined in
13 make.conf.
14
15 > I am not trying to have severe control, I just want to expand my
16 > knowledge!
17
18 You will do that, but not in the way you hoped. Pick a profile that most
19 closely matches your usage and then find tune from that by adding or
20 removing USE flags. That's a lot easier than deliberately breaking things
21 and then trying to work out how to fix them.
22
23 Also, when setting up a new system, make USE flag changes gradually.
24 Unless you are sure of what you are doing, only change a few at a time.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 System halted - Press all keys at once to continue.