From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:57:07
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 31 October 2006 11:04, Uwe Thiem wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 31 October 2006 09:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I find it useful to keep in mind that XFS is a file-system (i.e. a
7 >>> system for files), and not necessarily a severly disk-bound
8 >>> filesystem
9 >>>
10 >> Would you mind to elaborate on this? I simply do not get your point.
13 > Historically SGI was very strong in graphics, and those applicatiosn
14 > tended to generate massive amounts of temporary files that had a short
15 > life and only the final version needs to be written to persistent
16 > storage, very well suited to aggressive caching and other similar
17 > speedups.
18 >
19 > SGI's engineers could get away with this because they could guarantee
20 > that power loss to the machine wouldn't happen, so the potential data
21 > loss on a power outage didn't happen either. This sounds a bit weird to
22 > those of us raised on Intel where we pay close attention to getting
23 > everything on disk ASAP with as little performance loss as possible,
24 > but it's a perfectly reasonable system for an engineer to implement on
25 > the kind of hardware SGI were building.
26 >
27 > That's why I say XFS is designed to not be tightly bound to the physical
28 > disk if the admin chooses to set it up that way, and the file system
29 > becomes more of a collection of directories and files that might never
30 > even be stored on a disk at all
31 >
32 > alan
35 "..we pay close attention to getting everything on disk ASAP with as little performance loss as possible.."
36
37 Then I would propose you to use "hdparm -W0 /dev/(what-ever)" to disable the write caching (no matter which FS you use). Nothing can give 100% guarantee against power failure.
41 Best regards,
42 Daniel
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list