From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot Compaq Proliant 1600
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 02:49:07
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 01 March 2008, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hello list,
5 >>
6 >> I am struggling with an old Compaq Proliant 1600 for a while. It
7 >> boots perfectly using the Minimal Install CD, and all the install
8 >> process goes well. When its time to boot its own kernel, GRUB loads
9 >> the files, goes to the message "OK, booting the kernel." and just
10 >> hangs there. I used genkernel to compile the kernel. I'm now trying
11 >> to compile it manually to see if it will work.
12 >>
13 >> Please note that this particular machine has no SMART-2 Array
14 >> controller, so the disks are seen as common SCSI devices (sda and
15 >> sdb), currently I'm installing the whole system at sda, leaving "b"
16 >> untouched for backup purposes when I get this beast up and running.
17 >>
18 >> Anyone has any experience booting one of these machines?
21 > Not this specific model, but I would start by comparing the boot command
22 > and modules loaded from the Minimal CD with what you are trying to use
23 > when booting the installed OS.
24 >
25 > Supplying some error messages, command lines and even a relevant config
26 > file or two at this point might be found to be useful by those inclined
27 > to help you out of this predicament.......
32 I *think* I have one of these old boat anchors out in my shop. I'm not
33 sure if it still boots or not but I may could get you a .config file for
34 the kernel if you have no luck any other way. I say 'any other way'
35 cause I would have to drag that monster in the house and hook it back up
36 to the network to access it.
37
38 Let me know if all else fails. I'll check the model before hooking the
39 tractor and chain to it. LOL
40
41 Dale
42