From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot Compaq Proliant 1600
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 17:25:43
1 On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > On Saturday 01 March 2008, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Hello list,
7 > >>
8 > >> I am struggling with an old Compaq Proliant 1600 for a while. It
9 > >> boots perfectly using the Minimal Install CD, and all the install
10 > >> process goes well. When its time to boot its own kernel, GRUB loads
11 > >> the files, goes to the message "OK, booting the kernel." and just
12 > >> hangs there. I used genkernel to compile the kernel. I'm now trying
13 > >> to compile it manually to see if it will work.
14 > >>
15 > >> Please note that this particular machine has no SMART-2 Array
16 > >> controller, so the disks are seen as common SCSI devices (sda and
17 > >> sdb), currently I'm installing the whole system at sda, leaving "b"
18 > >> untouched for backup purposes when I get this beast up and running.
19 > >>
20 > >> Anyone has any experience booting one of these machines?
21 > >>
22 > >
23 > > Not this specific model, but I would start by comparing the boot command
24 > > and modules loaded from the Minimal CD with what you are trying to use
25 > > when booting the installed OS.
26 > >
27 > > Supplying some error messages, command lines and even a relevant config
28 > > file or two at this point might be found to be useful by those inclined
29 > > to help you out of this predicament.......
34 > I *think* I have one of these old boat anchors out in my shop. I'm not
35 > sure if it still boots or not but I may could get you a .config file for
36 > the kernel if you have no luck any other way. I say 'any other way'
37 > cause I would have to drag that monster in the house and hook it back up
38 > to the network to access it.
39 >
40 > Let me know if all else fails. I'll check the model before hooking the
41 > tractor and chain to it. LOL
44 Tell me about it, gotta drag this old machine all the way up to the
45 forth floor. It was an inexpensive choice for a file server, and I was
46 happy to see the Gentoo Minimal CD booting (cause then I was sure it
47 would work).
48
49 Anyway, I had to go (I'm on the road right now) and left it compiling
50 a new kernel (manually this time), that I'll test tomorrow.
51
52 Is there any way to copy the LiveCD kernel and initrd so I can boot
53 the EXACT kernel the CD is using? This way I can troubleshoot this
54 damn thing without a LiveCD and chroot every 5 minutes...
55 --
56 Daniel da Veiga
57 --
58 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list