From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot Compaq Proliant 1600
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:04:21
1 On Saturday 01 March 2008, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I am struggling with an old Compaq Proliant 1600 for a while. It
5 > boots perfectly using the Minimal Install CD, and all the install
6 > process goes well. When its time to boot its own kernel, GRUB loads
7 > the files, goes to the message "OK, booting the kernel." and just
8 > hangs there. I used genkernel to compile the kernel. I'm now trying
9 > to compile it manually to see if it will work.
10 >
11 > Please note that this particular machine has no SMART-2 Array
12 > controller, so the disks are seen as common SCSI devices (sda and
13 > sdb), currently I'm installing the whole system at sda, leaving "b"
14 > untouched for backup purposes when I get this beast up and running.
15 >
16 > Anyone has any experience booting one of these machines?
17
18 Not this specific model, but I would start by comparing the boot command
19 and modules loaded from the Minimal CD with what you are trying to use
20 when booting the installed OS.
21
22 Supplying some error messages, command lines and even a relevant config
23 file or two at this point might be found to be useful by those inclined
24 to help you out of this predicament.......
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list