From: cosmoslx lin <cosmoslx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IO latency issues
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 23:54:23
1 I have try the BFQ patch outside of the kernel mainline, it works well.
2 Maybe you would like to see:
3 http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/
4
5 Also there is a 15-minute demo of the performance of BFQ:
6 http://youtu.be/J-e7LnJblm8
7
8 2013/3/10 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
9
10 > Am 09.03.2013 19:15, schrieb Florian Philipp:
11 > > Hi list!
12 > >
13 > > Whenever I do sequential IO for a long stretch of time (e.g. md5summing
14 > > 40 GB), I'm experiencing high load (ca. 6 on a 4 CPU system) and
15 > > temporary freezes of most applications. For example, switching between
16 > > tabs in konsole sometimes takes more than 2 seconds.
17 > >
18 > > When doing this on an ext4 filesystem, the load seems to result from
19 > > khugepaged and kswapd0 as well as some kworkers.
20 > >
21 > > I think I've had similar issues with NFS over wifi but I cannot test
22 > > this now.
23 > >
24 > > Today I copied 60GB from my hard disk to an USB disk formatted with
25 > > NTFS, issuing the copy command from KDE's dolphin. The freezes became so
26 > > long it was impossible to work and then X11 locked up and had to be
27 > killed.
28 > >
29 > > I tried using a preemptive kernel but that didn't seem to help. blkio
30 > > and cpu cgroups didn't help either. Ionice seems to be the only solution
31 > > but while I'm okay with that, my dad won't be. Can anyone tell me what
32 > > is causing this behavior?
33 > >
34 > > Throughput is good, by the way. That's why I don't suspect a driver
35 > issue.
36 > >
37 > > Thanks in advance!
38 > > Florian Philipp
39 > >
40 > congratulation. You hit 'the bug'. Been around for ages, but for magical
41 > reasons kernel dev are unable to see or unable to do something about it.
42 > If you are using a vanilla kernel, posting on lkml might be the right
43 > thing to do.
50 Best regards!
51
52 ------------------------------------------------
53
54 Yu-yu Lin(林育宇)
55
56 The Guangdong Key Laboratory of Information Security Technology (IST),
57 School of Information Science and Technology,
58 Sun Yat-sen (Zhongshan) University (中山大学),
59 Guangzhou,P.R.China.
60
61 Email: cosmoslx@×××××.com
62