From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:54:14
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 17 March 2012 12:54:53 Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
3 >
4 >> genkernel is pretty simple to use if you ask me.
5 >> just
6 >>
7 >> emerege genkernel
8 >>
9 >> and then use
10 >>
11 >> genkerenl --menuconfig all
12 >>
13 >> it will do everything for you the same as in a regular kernel
14 >> compiling.
15 >>
16 >> you have instructions on how to use genkernel on the handbook.
17 >
18 > What's more, you don't have to keep going through menuconfig if you
19 > already have a running self-compiled kernel. Just copy the .config file to
20 > somewhere safe (I use, e.g. /boot/config-3.2) and call genkernel with the
21 > option to specify the config file it's to use. Sorry but I can't tell you
22 > exactly what the parameter is as I don't have genkernel on this box.
23 > Someone will be along in a moment though.
27 I used genkernel when I was first installing Gentoo. I let that thing
28 build half a dozen kernels, chroot in between too. You know what, not
29 one of them worked. That was a long time ago but let me check something
30 here. < spit spit spit > I had to get the bad taste out of my mouth. lol
31
32 I might also add, I started using a init thingy a few weeks ago, dracut
33 tool. For some crazy reason, when I boot with the init thingy, my
34 system doesn't work right. When I boot without the init thingy, it
35 works fine. Still trying to figure out that one. It's in another thread.
36
37 I don't see myself using genkernel any time soon. Right now, I'm having
38 flashbacks to hal with regard to dracut and the whole init thingy /usr
39 mess.
40
41 Dale
42
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
48 how you interpreted my words!
49
50 Miss the compile output? Hint:
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"