From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@×××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:03:14
1 On 18/03/2012 11:52, Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Saturday 17 March 2012 12:54:53 Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> genkernel is pretty simple to use if you ask me.
6 >>> just
7 >>>
8 >>> emerege genkernel
9 >>>
10 >>> and then use
11 >>>
12 >>> genkerenl --menuconfig all
13 >>>
14 >>> it will do everything for you the same as in a regular kernel
15 >>> compiling.
16 >>>
17 >>> you have instructions on how to use genkernel on the handbook.
18 >>
19 >> What's more, you don't have to keep going through menuconfig if you
20 >> already have a running self-compiled kernel. Just copy the .config file to
21 >> somewhere safe (I use, e.g. /boot/config-3.2) and call genkernel with the
22 >> option to specify the config file it's to use. Sorry but I can't tell you
23 >> exactly what the parameter is as I don't have genkernel on this box.
24 >> Someone will be along in a moment though.
28 > I used genkernel when I was first installing Gentoo. I let that thing
29 > build half a dozen kernels, chroot in between too. You know what, not
30 > one of them worked. That was a long time ago but let me check something
31 > here.< spit spit spit> I had to get the bad taste out of my mouth. lol
32 >
33 > I might also add, I started using a init thingy a few weeks ago, dracut
34 > tool. For some crazy reason, when I boot with the init thingy, my
35 > system doesn't work right. When I boot without the init thingy, it
36 > works fine. Still trying to figure out that one. It's in another thread.
37 >
38 > I don't see myself using genkernel any time soon. Right now, I'm having
39 > flashbacks to hal with regard to dracut and the whole init thingy /usr
40 > mess.
41 i have used genkernel for a long time and all of my genkernel
42 compilation works really good.
43 i have (counting, 1 very very big production server, 2 small production
44 server, 3 home server, 4 +5 +6 + 7 +8 of vms runing genkernel with
45 several services such as mail mail filtering web server and monitoring)
46 so what can i say? all these machines will say other then you.
47
48 Regards,
49 Eliezer
52 > Dale