From: the guard <the.guard@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:03:01
1 Пятница, 26 апреля 2013, 22:54 +02:00 от Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2 > On 26/04/2013 22:46, the guard wrote:
6 > > Пятница, 26 апреля 2013, 22:41 +02:00 от Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
7 > >> On 26/04/2013 20:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
8 > >>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > >>>> Hello Everyone,
10 > >>>>
11 > >>>> We are trying to sync our server's time with an accurate ntp
12 > >>>> server, and was wondering which of the many solutions are
13 > >>>> considered viable. I did see the
14 > >>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization.
15 > >>>> Our services are quite time sensitive.
16 > >>>
17 > >>> I think the classic method is to use net-misc/ntp
18 > >>>
19 > >>> See the extensive article at http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTP for
20 > >>> great examples and description.
21 > >>>
22 > >>
23 > >> Do none of us here ever deal with Windows? :-)
24 > >>
25 > >> I notice that no-one has yet mentioned that Windows does not do ntp, as
26 > >> Windows does not do time right, doesn't do timezones right and I
27 > >> strongly suspect can't even do dates right (this latter still unproven)
28 > >>
29 > >> Windows time servers need some magic Microsoft thing called ENTP which
30 > >> is in no way related to the ntp we all know and love
31 > >>
32 > > It refuses to adjust time if you have a wrong date. timezone is set in your system
36 > I was thinking more along the lines of how Windows has no concept of UTC
37 > set in the hw clock and a local timezone, and how timezones are odd
38 > things like Harare/Pretoria instead of the official names like
39 > SAST GMT+2 as set by the scientific timekeeping community.
40 >
41 > How about daylight savings? Can Windows deal with that? Other than by
42 > just shoving the clock back and forward by an hour on the right days?
45 All I can say that XP didn't understand our polititians when they cancelled "summer time"
46 daylight saving. btw I saw a good quote in this list. something like "only a white man can believe
47 that by tearing a blanket at the bottom and attaching it on the top he will make tha blanket longer"????