From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:55:59
1 On 26/04/2013 22:46, the guard wrote:
5 > Пятница, 26 апреля 2013, 22:41 +02:00 от Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
6 >> On 26/04/2013 20:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
7 >>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>> Hello Everyone,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> We are trying to sync our server's time with an accurate ntp
11 >>>> server, and was wondering which of the many solutions are
12 >>>> considered viable. I did see the
13 >>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization.
14 >>>> Our services are quite time sensitive.
15 >>>
16 >>> I think the classic method is to use net-misc/ntp
17 >>>
18 >>> See the extensive article at http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NTP for
19 >>> great examples and description.
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> Do none of us here ever deal with Windows? :-)
23 >>
24 >> I notice that no-one has yet mentioned that Windows does not do ntp, as
25 >> Windows does not do time right, doesn't do timezones right and I
26 >> strongly suspect can't even do dates right (this latter still unproven)
27 >>
28 >> Windows time servers need some magic Microsoft thing called ENTP which
29 >> is in no way related to the ntp we all know and love
30 >>
31 > It refuses to adjust time if you have a wrong date. timezone is set in your system
35 I was thinking more along the lines of how Windows has no concept of UTC
36 set in the hw clock and a local timezone, and how timezones are odd
37 things like Harare/Pretoria instead of the official names like
38 SAST GMT+2 as set by the scientific timekeeping community.
39
40 How about daylight savings? Can Windows deal with that? Other than by
41 just shoving the clock back and forward by an hour on the right days?
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com