From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:11:58
1 On 26/04/2013 23:02, the guard wrote:
2
3 >> I was thinking more along the lines of how Windows has no concept of UTC
4 >> set in the hw clock and a local timezone, and how timezones are odd
5 >> things like Harare/Pretoria instead of the official names like
6 >> SAST GMT+2 as set by the scientific timekeeping community.
7 >>
8 >> How about daylight savings? Can Windows deal with that? Other than by
9 >> just shoving the clock back and forward by an hour on the right days?
12 > All I can say that XP didn't understand our polititians when they cancelled "summer time"
13 > daylight saving. btw I saw a good quote in this list. something like "only a white man can believe
14 > that by tearing a blanket at the bottom and attaching it on the top he will make tha blanket longer"????
17 XP didn't understand our politicians either, but we are a special case
18 amongst special cases. Nothing in this entire universe understands *our*
19 politicians, so XP gets a free pass on that one here :-)
20
21 And that's a funny joke, but not really accurate. Daylight savings is
22 designed to have the big orange ball visible in the sky for the maximum
23 amount of time whilst people are working at their daily 9 to 5. The day
24 doesn't get any longer, you just shift the darkness part forwards and
25 backwards.
26
27 I wasn't born here in Africa and didn't spend primary school years here
28 either. But I distinctly recall having to walk to school in the snow and
29 in the dark to geet their before 9 o'clock. Not fun. DST would have helped.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com