From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Strange new behavior from the "mount" command
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:19:01
1 On 04/18/2015 05:33 PM, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On Saturday, April 18, 2015 3:59:15 PM walt wrote:
3 >>
4 >> execve("/bin/mount", ["mount"], [/* 61 vars */]) = 0
5 >>
6 >> That number 61 on the 'bad' machine is 48, though, and I don't know where
7 >> that odd-looking string of characters is generated or what it means. To me
8 >> it looks like a comment in a file of 'c' code.
9 >>
10 >> Still stumped :(
11 >
12 > That would be the number of environment variables passed to execve. strace is
13 > just trying not to be too noisy.
16 > Are there any differences in the options used in fstab between both machines,
17 > Especially the auto or noauto options or if one of them is using labels. The
18 > mount(8) man page may have more hints.
19
20 As a quick-and-dirty way of testing your idea I moved /etc/fstab out of the way.
21
22 I was surprised to learn that "mount" doesn't care about fstab, and doesn't even
23 bother to look for it (when invoked with no arguments).
24
25 Using strace I examined the list of files opened by "mount" on both machines and
26 discovered that the "bad" machine reads the same 8 files as the "good" machine,
27 but then proceeds to read /etc/blkid.conf (I don't have that file on either machine)
28 and then /proc/cmdline. (And then proceeds to read all the partition tables, etc)
29
30 So, what kind of process needs those two files to do its job? I have no idea, but
31 I'm hoping that some of you smart people out there may know.