From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I run a 32-bit CentOS chroot on a 64-bit Gentoo host?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 06:32:29
1 On 2017-02-06 22:40, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > Right now, I'm using a 32-bit CentOS QEMU VM to build Pale Moon for
4 > older machines. There's the usual processing overhead of a VM, plus
5 > it has to have it's own virtual disks with safety margin of space,
6 > plus 5 gigabytes of swap space inside the VM.
7 >
8 > What I'd like to do is a 32-bit CentOS chroot inside my 64-bit Gentoo
9 > desktop host. I'm looking at rsync'ing the / directory from inside
10 > the CentOS VM file system to a directory on the 64-bit host, and then
11 > chroot into the copy on the host.
12 >
13 > Is it possible? Any booby-traps? Has anybody here done something
14 > similar?
15
16 It depends on how good the Pale build system is. What you would be
17 doing is similar to cross-compiling, and you need the build system be
18 ready for that kind of thing.
19
20 A naive build system will pick up wrong configuration information by
21 doing build-time checks that won't be valid at run-time. This is true
22 even with a chroot, because checks can query directly the kernel via
23 syscalls or stuff in /proc and /sys. There are probably other ways for
24 the host system environment to leak, too.
25
26 This is one reason why many stick to GNU auto* thingies despite their
27 surface ugliness: they're actually battle tested in this situation.
28
29 Unfortunately I'm not intimate with the Mozilla/Pale build system so I
30 can't give you yea or nay, but maybe you can search for information
31 whether it can be (really) cross-compiled. If yes, then your scenario
32 should work too.
35 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
36 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
37 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html