From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso - DMA related problem
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:04:55
1 On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 22:51 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 3/23/06, Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > OK, here is dmesg output, the last two lines indicate that:
4 > > hdc: DMA disabled
5 > > hdc: ATAPI reset complete
6 >
7 > The lines that are interesting to me are:
8 >
9 > VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.1
10 > sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: version 1.1
11 >
12 > The above PCI id lines indicate that your parallel ata (IDE) device is
13 > really just a function of your SATA chip. Since your hard disk
14 > wouldn't be affected, I would try a kernel without IDE support and see
15 > if the SATA driver picks up your CD drive.
16 >
17 > -Richard
18
19 I've disable IDE ATAPI CD-ROM in the kernel but the DVD-drive wasn't
20 recognized upon reboot; well I think I just have to wait till they fix
21 it in the kernel :-/
22 For now, every time I made copy and eject the CD, I will reboot the
23 computer; oh well it is like Windows 98 - I'm used to it :-)
26 #Joseph
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list