From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ati-drivers
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:50:20
1 On 9/3/07, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
7 > > > Dell Inspiron 1721 is based on AMD ATI M690T chipset, Turion 64 X2 dual core
8 > > > processors with speeds from 1.8GHz to 2.2GHz, and ATI Mobility Radeon X1270
11 > > > so How/where do I read which chipsets are covered by which drivers?
12 >
13 > > I would personally visit the Phoronix forums, sign up and ask the
14 > > question there.
17 > > On the other hand, why do you need the ati-driver package at all. Have
18 > > you considered just using the radeon driver in the kernel until you
19 > > get this machine up and running and then deal with this driver issue
20 > > later? That's my usual path to making a new ATI machine useful as
21 > > quickly as possible.
24 > Got vesa working. For now that good enough. I'll give the ati-drivers another
25 > shot, once I read somewhere where this chips is covered by the ati-drivers
26
27 Glad for that much. Now the machine is usable. that's a good first step.
30 > 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 791f
31 >
32 > It does not even show up in my favorite hardware index:
33 > http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/hwdata/trunk/pcitable?rev=5
36 I suspect that ATI has integrated an existing VGA core into a new
37 chipset. sometimes it takes Linux quite awhile to catch up on this
38 sort of issue. I had a Compaq laptop a couple of years ago with a new
39 chipset. It was probably 4 months before I could even attempt to turn
40 on DMA on my hard drives. The machine was very slow for quite a while.
41
42 It will get worked out. Look for a reasonable location to post some
43 info on the chipset. Note that the Linux kernel guys won't really help
44 with this as they don't like drivers that taint the kernel. I use ATI
45 drivers when I have to, like on my Myth frontend machines, but I stick
46 with the radeon driver if I want any real support.
47
48 Good luck,
49 Mark
50 --